swchurchOn April 13, 1957 several faithful members from fifteen families met for the first time in the American Legion Hall in Grove City, Ohio. They were from three different area congregations:

Weldon Warnock was the first preacher to work with the Grove City congregation. Brother Warnock left Grove City for other work in 1959. The growing congregation caused the church to move it’s worship to the Kingston Avenue School.

Joseph “Joe” Hoskins form Cincinnati was selected as the minister on June 1960.  At that time the church purchased a plot of ground on Demorest Road, a building was constructed and the congregation began to worship as the Demorest Road Church of Christ. Growth was slow but steady. At that time, the first elders were appointed.

Carroll Collins from Alabama came to serve the congregation as minister in 1965. The need for more classrooms led to the decision to relocate to a new facility. Four acres were purchased on Grove City Road and a $155,000 building was constructed. The new building had a seating capacity of approximately 400 with 15 classrooms and a fellowship hall.  The congregation moved to the facility in September, 1969. The name of the congregation was changed to Southwestern Church of Christ.

In 1971 Richard Dale came to work with the Southwestern congregation from New Philadelphia, Ohio. He remained until April 1974.

In August 1974, Joe Hoskins returned again to serve as minister at Southwestern. He remained until April, 1984 when he decided to retire and enjoy some time in the hills of Meigs County.

In June 1984, Jim Mitchell came to work with the Southwestern congregation from Bucyrus, Ohio. He remained until March, 1996 when he left to work with the congregation in Chandlersville, Ohio.

In June 1996, Randy Todd came to Grove City from Winchester, Tennessee. He remained until December, 2007 when he left to work with the congregation in Arlington TX.

In July 2008, Don Belcher came to work with the Southwestern congregation from Taylor Michigan, and remained until July 2010.

In September 2011 Matthew Neely came to work with the Southwestern congregation from Henderson, TN and remained until July 2017 when he left to pursue vocational ministry.

Those who have served this congregation as elders are: Everett Huey, William Buehl, Bernard Boggs, Bob McConnell, Joe Hoskins, Jim Ream, John Collier, Oren Henry, Audry Hardy, Ron Phillips, Greg Raterman Dale Burdette, and Bill Morgan. During the 50 plus years, a number of men have served as deacons and leaders in various ministries.